II MEETING OF THE CANADA/MÉXICO/ UNITED STATES TRILATERAL COMMITTEE FOR WILDLIFE AND ECOSYSTEM CONSERVATION AND MANAGEMENT
EXECUTIVE WORKING TABLE
February 11-12, 1997
- John Rogers indicated that a new director for the Service has yet to be named. He also gave a general update on pending reauthorization of the Endangered Species Act as well as draft legislation on refuges.
- Ken Williams described the consultation process underway in all 3 countries to update the NAWMP
- Dave Brackett described new institutional arrangements to implement the Biodiversity convention in Canada and described the new endangered species legislation under consideration there.
- Victor Ramirez described the latest developments on updating the new environmental organic law.
- Alejandro Angulo described PROFEPA's new project in the Monarch Reserve to link citizen guards with activities to generate alternative incomes.
- Dave Brackett suggested discussions to improve coordination between the three countries regarding endangered species listed in two or more countries. He agreed to prepare and distribute a draft document for follow-up.
- Janine Feretti gave an overview of the CEC workplan as it relates to biodiversity. There was general agreement that there should be better coordination to avoid duplication between the two entities. Janine asked for suggested priorities from the Trilateral Committee.